Who are we?
Semantic Learning Systems provides students and educators with quality educational material and services aimed at supporting their learning and teaching experiences. Semantic Learning Systems provides innovative educative solutions that meet the needs of a diverse student population, including adult learners and working professionals. To learn more about what Semantic Learning Systems offers, you can contact us directly here.
What We Collect and Why
Semantic Learning Systems collects some anonymous information each time you visit its website, so it can improve the overall quality of your online experience. It may collect your IP address, referral data, and browser and platform type. You do not have to register with Semantic Learning Systems before we can collect this anonymous information.
Semantic Learning Systems website does not require you to share information that identifies you personally, such as your name or e-mail address, for you to use the website. The Semantic Learning Systems website may assign an anonymous ID number to your request(s) and links the following additional data to that number: the date and time you visited the website, your search terms, and the links upon which you choose to click. Like most standard website servers, we use log files to collect and store this anonymous user information. Semantic Learning Systems analyzes the information to examine trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Semantic Learning Systems may set and access Semantic Learning Systems or partner cookies on your computer. A cookie is a small data file that a website may send to your browser and which may then be stored on your system. We may occasionally use both session cookies and persistent cookies. For the session cookie, once you close the browser, the cookie simply terminates. A persistent cookie is a small text file stored on your hard drive for an extended period of time. Persistent cookies can be removed by following Internet browser help file directions.
We may use cookie and web beacon technology to track which pages on the Semantic Learning Systems website our visitors view and which Web browsers our visitors use. We may also use “action tags” to assist in delivering the cookie. These action tags allow us to compile statistics and other data about our customers on an aggregate basis, by embedding a random identifying number on each user’s browser. Then we track where that number shows up on our site.
Special Notification with respect to Children’s Privacy (Users under the age of 13)
In response to concerns about protecting children’s privacy online, Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”), which sets forth rules and procedures governing the ways in which websites may collect, use and disclose any personal information for children under the age of 13. In accordance with Semantic Learning Systems policy and COPPA regulations, we DO NOT:
- Request or knowingly collect personally identifiable information online or offline contact information from users under 13 years of age; or knowingly use or share personal information from users under 13 years of age with third parties.
- It is possible that by fraud or deception we may receive information given to us or pertaining to children under 13. If we are notified of this, as soon as we verify the information, we will immediately delete the information from our servers.
We desire to keep you in control of the personal information you provide to us. Accordingly, you can review, correct, change or remove the personal registration information you provide to Semantic Learning Systems and that Semantic Learning Systems controls.
If you do not want to receive e-mail from us in the future, please let us know by sending us an email.
Notwithstanding any language to the contrary, nothing contained herein constitutes nor is intended to constitute an offer, inducement, promise, or contract of any kind. The data contained herein is for informational purposes only and is not represented to be error free. Any links to information not owned by Semantic Learning Systems and/or its affiliates are provided as a courtesy. They are not intended to, nor do they constitute an endorsement by the Semantic Learning Systems and/or its affiliates of the linked materials, products, services, or information contained therein. Semantic Learning Systems and/or its affiliates do not have any control over the privacy practices of these websites or information, and all visitors of these websites should read and understand the policies and privacy practices for external sites.
Semantic Learning Systems is committed to complying with US copyright law and respecting the rights of copyright holders, while simultaneously defending the academic freedom of faculty and providing the optimal learning experience for students. Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(c)(2), notice of claims of copyright infringement should be directed to this address.
European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice
Lawful Basis for Collecting and Processing of Personal Data
In order for Semantic Learning Systems to better serve its users, it is essential and necessary that it has lawful bases to collect, process, use, and maintain data for its users. The lawful bases include, without limitation information, advertisement and sale of Semantic Learning Systems products and services. Examples of data that Semantic Learning Systems may need to collect in connection with the lawful bases are: name, email address, IP address, physical address or other location identifier, photos, as well as some sensitive personal data obtained with prior consent.
Most of the collection and processing of personal data will include:
- Processing necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Semantic Learning Systems or third parties in providing educational materials or services.
- Processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which Semantic Learning Systems is subject.
- The data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes. This lawful basis pertains primarily but not exclusively to the protection of research subjects.
There will be some instances where the collection and processing of personal data will be pursuant to other lawful bases.
Types of Personal Data Collected and Why
Semantic Learning Systems collects a variety of personal and sensitive data to meet one of its lawful bases, as referenced above. Most often the data is used for advertisement or sale of Semantic Learning Systems products and services. If you have specific questions regarding the collection and use of your personal data, please contact us here. If a data subject refuses to provide personal data that is required, such refusal may make it impossible for Semantic Learning Systems to provide such subject with his/her requested services or products.
Personal data typically includes, but is not limited to:
|First name, last name, address, and any other contact information that can directly or indirectly identify the data subject.||Collected directly from you, the data subject, through: application forms, online forms, emails, phone calls, chats, SMS, shared files.|
Individual Rights of the Data Subject under the EU GDPR
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review – in the event that Semantic Learning Systems refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
- Right to complain – in the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Semantic Learning Systems.
Semantic Learning Systems will process and store personal data for no longer than it is necessary for the specified above purpose(s).
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted directly here.