A plasmid construct contains a version of the lac operon. One of the genes codes for an enzyme that metabolizes maltose for energy. The promoter was engineered so that a 22 bp fragment was removed. What would be the effect on cells transformed with this plasmid?
– growth on maltose, even with a repressor
– no growth on maltose because the gene cluster cannot be transcribed
– no growth on maltose because the inducer cannot bind to the mutated promoter
– no phenotypic difference because the promoter is not required for operon function
– transcription of all the genes in the operon because there would be no regulation