1. DNA sequences are shown below:
- For each of these write the complementary strand
- Next transcribe the correct strand
- Next translate this into a protein sequence
#2— 5’-A C A T C A A T A A C T-3’
1) sigma factor 2) poly A tail 3) TATAAT 4) exons 5) RNA polymerase III 6) intron 7) snRNA 8) RNA polymerase I 9) CAAT box
- nucleotide sequence interrupting eukaryotic genes
- used to remove introns; made of RNA molecules
- E.coli sequence (-10) of nontemplate strand of the promoter; helps unwind DNA so RNA polymerase can bind
- helps make the rRNAs except for the 5S rRNA
- part of prokartyoic RNA polymerase used to start transcription at promoters
- helps make transfer RNA and small nuclear RNAs
- 20-200 nucleotides at the 3’ end of many eukaryotic mRNAs
- transcribes genes that encode proteins
- sequence of eukaryotic 80 nucleotides up from where transcription begins on nontemplate strand
- eukaryotic gene segments that make RNA transcripts
3. Here’s a bacterial DNA sequence (promoter is not present, but upstream)
- Write the mRNA sequence below.
- Write the amino acid sequence for the protein.
- If there’s a mutation where the arrow is located of the C there to be deleted, then write the polypeptide from this mutation.
4. Label the figure below: terms list options: 1) potential wobble; 2) 3’end of mRNA; 3) ribosome 4) 5’-AUG-3’ ; 5) codon; 6) amino acid; 7) 5’ UTR; 8) anticodon; 9) N terminus; 10) 5’ end tRNA; 11) hydrogen bond; 12) 3’ end of tRNA; 13) nucleotide; 14) mRNA cap; 15) peptide bond; 16) P site; 17) name of this process is?
5. This is a gene expression model of simultaneous transcription/translation with multiple proteins being translated. The arrow indicates directional movement left to right of the process where there’s a protein attached to the DNA.
a) Which end of the DNA (5’ or 3’) is letter A closest?
- Which nucleic acid is closest to letter B?
- To which end (5’ or 3’) is letter B closest?
d) If D is closest to the amino acid MET, then is MET most likely closest to letter E also?
- Does this particular process occur in prokaryotes, eukaryotes or both?
- What is the name of the transcriptional protein closest to F?
- What structure is closest to G?